The University of the West Indies - St. Augustine
Lecturer in Communication Studies
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD in Communication Studies or a closely related discipline.
Candidates must also possess:
- Relevant teaching experience
- Strong publication profile commensurate with candidate’s stage of career
- Expertise and research interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Digital & Social Media
- Mass Communication
- Mass Media & Society
- Media Writing
- New Media and Persuasion
Candidates with the following would have an advantage:
- A Master’s degree in Communication Studies or a closely related discipline (in addition to the PhD, which is essential)
- Experience in curriculum revision, course design, and/or coordinating academic programmes
- Experience of teaching and supervising postgraduate students
- Expertise and research interest in other areas of Communication that expand the Department’s current research profile
- Research interest in questions relevant to the Caribbean and/or the global south
Experience in, or openness to, interdisciplinary approaches would be an asset.
- Researching and high-quality publishing
- Teaching a diverse range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Communication Studies
- Supervising postgraduate research projects
- Assessing and examining student work
- Designing courses and contributing to curriculum revision
- Contributing to the administrative functioning of the Department, and to the cultural and intellectual life of the University
The Department places high priority on individuals of integrity who can work well in a team and student friendly environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates must also demonstrate a firm grasp of current theoretical discussions in Communication.
Detailed application and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, c/o HR Division (Appointments Section), Main Administration Building, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. via e-mail: HRApplications@sta.uwi.edu. Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated. Application forms may be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Staff Vacancies section. Further particulars including remuneration package may also be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University. Applications received after the deadline date will not be considered.