Website Nagoya University of Commerce & Business (NUCB)
English Language Teacher
Nagoya University of Commerce and Business seeks two highly motivated, collegial, responsible and academically-oriented English language teaching scholars to join the newly established and expanding Faculty of International Studies. In April 2018, the Faculty launched a new curriculum with an emphasis on fostering an English environment to support students as they prepare for study abroad requirements. The Faculty welcomes applications from experienced teachers with an interest in developing and extending their research interests in EFL.
The Faculty of International Studies offers a B.A. degree in Global and Interdisciplinary Studies as well as English Studies. In addition to the English language coursework required of both majors, all students acquire a minor in business and complete a study abroad program prior to graduation.
Reporting to the Dean of the Faculty of International Studies, the open positions hold administrative, teaching, research/creative activity, and potentially some leadership responsibilities. A successful candidate is expected to actively participate in and provide support for all the Faculty’s programs and initiatives. A successful candidate will also demonstrate that he/she embraces and has the initiative to advance the cross-disciplinary nature of the Faculty and its interactions with other university faculties and programs. The position is at the rank of Lecturer or Assistant Professor and the salary is very competitive; both rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Rank: Lecturer or Assistant Professor
Start Date: April 1st 2020
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching responsibilities: 7 classes of 100 minutes each per week, focusing on English language and cross-cultural communication with the aim of increasing students’ standardized TOEIC and TOEFL scores for work and study abroad.
- Non-teaching responsibilities: conduct and publish research, maintain office hours, provide additional support to students, and participate in all official university functions
- Active participation in curriculum reform, course adaptation and faculty development.
- Two-year renewable contract with a highly competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
- Salary will be paid in 14 installments per year (inclusive of a bonus of one month salary paid in July and in December)
- Holidays in line with normal Japanese university conventions
- Excellent benefits package including private health insurance, a generous research budget and (with approval) a dedicated work day for research activities
- Individual airfare for a single one-way ticket to Nagoya, Japan from one’s home country of residence will be provided and assistance in obtaining a Japanese work visa.
1. A cover letter
2. An updated curriculum vitae (please indicate whether a publication was peer-reviewed), including a recent passport-type photo
3. Two letters of recommendation from current/previous employers
4. One copy of highest degree diploma (For ABD candidates, please also submit a statement from your advisor indicating an approximate timeline for your degree completion.)
5. A statement of teaching philosophy
6. A statement of research goals and interests
7. If available, current/previous student evaluations of classroom teaching.
Application Deadline: December 1st 2019
Applications meeting the stated minimum requirements will be reviewed upon receipt. Furthermore, applicants who meet the stated criteria will be contacted and invited for an interview in English (either in person, or by Skype or Zoom for overseas candidates) and possibly a teaching demonstration (in person if in Japan, or by video if overseas).
***Please Note: Incomplete applications and applications that do not meet the stated minimum qualifications will not be considered.
1. ABD or Ph.D. / Ed.D. in TESOL /Applied Linguistics/English language education (candidates with a degree from related area of study within the field of education, e.g., higher education, educational psychology, may be considered if an appropriate background in teaching English can be demonstrated)
2. English language teaching experience at the higher education level
3. High level of English proficiency.
Additional Desired Qualities:
1. Experience living and working in a country or countries culturally different from one’s own
2. Knowledge of and interest in language teaching and learning in Japanese higher education
3. Practical English language teaching qualifications (e.g. certificates and/or diplomas with a practicum assessment)
4. Evidence of workplace collaboration and collegiality
About Nagoya University of Commerce & Business:
Founded in 1953, Nagoya University of Commerce and Business is situated on an exceptionally beautiful campus in the most economically productive region of Japan: Nagoya. One of the leading business schools in Japan, NUCB consistently receives high academic rankings and is strongly committed to global standards for excellence in scholarship and research. It is also the only business school in Japan to be accredited by both AACSB International and AMBA. NUCB comprises of just over 3,500 students and 100 teaching staff. About 30 of the teaching staff are from abroad. For more details about NUCB please visit our homepage. https://www.nucba.ac.jp/en/program/undergraduate/global/